In this episode, Cara Lumen, a spiritual philosopher and founder of the Deeper Song Community, explains how an interview with Chris Brogan changed her life and inspired her to make an impact.
Listen to Cara’s interview and learn how she overcomes her challenges to do what she loves.
- [00:35] Introducing Cara Lumen, an example of tenacity and persistence.
- [02:30] Asking Cara about the message she got from Chris Brogan.
- [05:18] What is a map maker?
- [06:23] How can someone find what her or his gifts are?
- [07:17] How do we find patterns in past events we went through in our life?
- [09:00] How do we know what our passion is?
- [10:04] Do you track what your community likes to read from you?
- [11:05] How writing for yourself can still resonate with your community.
- [11:30] Have you always worked on activities related to your passions?
- [13:39] Does your local senior community support your activities?
- [15:06] How often do you talk to people who support you?
- [15:51] About the adjustments Cara has to make to overcome her challenges.
- [17:23] About the Macular Degeneration that affects Cara’s vision and work.
- [18:33] Do you sometimes want to pause your work and focus on your health?
- [19:55] How do you overcome the technical challenges related to maintaining your online platform?
- [22:30] How do you manage your time to tackle all your activities?
- [24:31] Do you sometimes procrastinate?
- [25:04] Do you finish all the courses you purchase?
- [26:09] What is your writing process?
- [27:29] How do you know how high to raise the bar to achieve things?
- [28:29] Follow Cara’s example to get things done if you are overwhelmed with business strategies.
- [29:41] How do you find people who resonate with what you do?
- [30:47] Do you have any tips for people who don’t know what their gifts are?
- [31:52] How can people avoid giving up on their projects?
- [32:44] Where can people find you?
- [33:55] Conclusion
- [34:44] Your action item for this week: Reflect on the stories you often share with others. Do you find any common patterns in those stories? This exercise will help you find your why and the impact you want to make in your life.
- Understand a concept and figure out how to apply it to your life. The content you create is a map for the next person.
- Go back in your life and write down all the high points and how you felt in the moment. See what the common denominator is. That’s a clue to what your passion is.
- Write about what you want to learn next and share it with others, your community will resonate with you.
- The more specialized you are in your interest, the fewer people you are going to find to talk to about it.
- Keep exploring. If you get stuck, there is an opportunity to look around and learn something new.
- Ask yourself “What do I need to let go of? What do I need to embrace? What do I need to learn?”
- Be Perseverant: You can figure out how to do things. Small steps and practice will help you move forward.
- Productivity tips: batch your content creation and focus each day on a specific type of activity.
- Be clear on what you want to learn to make sure that you finish your classes.
- Cara’s writing process: use your writing as a way to explore what you need to understand.
- Your honesty about your exploration and path may be appealing to other people.
- You will change people’s life with what you say or do, and they, in turn, will change someone else’s life.
- Walk beside other people. Help someone else see things another way.
Listen to the Audio
- Visit Cara’s Website
- Connect with Cara on Facebook
- Follow Cara on Twitter
- Chris Brogan
- The Rainmaker Platform
- Courses on Udemy
- Connect with Thuy on Facebook
- Connect with Thuy on LinkedIn
- Follow Thuy on Twitter
If you enjoyed this episode, your ratings and reviews on iTunes will be greatly appreciated. It will also help more people discover the show.
Subscribe to the show on iTunes to receive automatically each new episode when they are published.
Feel free to share about this episode using the sharing buttons on this page.